domingo, 2 de mayo de 2010

12TH ANNIVERSARY OF EL VAGON ALTERNATIVO

Exactly 12 years ago today, I went on the air with a radio show that changed the way people think about alternative music here in Ecuador. El Vagon Alternativo celebrates 12 years on the air at Radio Metro based in Quito, the capital of Ecuador. The blueprint for this show was to play and talk about alternative/indie bands and artists that have never been played here in the country. It has been a childhood dream to have a radio show and be able to talk about the aspects of alternative music. I idolise radio DJs like John Peel, Steve Lamacq and Rodney Bingenheimer who have guided me in my listening of alternative music.

I also want to thank Edison Soto (R.I.P.) for getting me on the station. It was his good word to the higher ups that got me in and gave me a chance to live out my childhood dream. I will never forget you Edison and your memory lives on with my little tributes of 60s and 70s music (alternative style) on my show.

That first show, Saturday, May 2, 1998, was a one hour show from 9 pm to 10, and it was just for a trial basis to see what the listeners thought. Well, as you can see I am still here. The show's first six months was an hour show then it was extended to 2 hours, 8pm to 10. that lasted for a couple of months and it was extended to four hours, 8pm to midnight. Same night same time slot. People say that it is an amazing feat (by Ecuadorian standards) to be able to last this long on the same radio station, same night and same time slot.

Many listeners have grown up listening to my show and have actually formed bands based on the music I have played on my show. I feel honored that things like that happen. It feels reawl good to know that my show not only is transmitted in Ecuador but now we are online, and everyone from around the world can tune in.

It has been an amazing 12 years on the air. I have been proud to be the one to expose Shoegazing,Madchester, Brit Pop, Trip Hop, Punk, Post Punk, Ska,New Wave, Mod, Alt-Jazz, Indie Folk and all the other genres that fall under the umbrella of alternative music. I also feel proud to be able to expose the local indie/alternative scene here in Ecuador. Thanks to all of you for letting me hear your music and letting me attend your shows.

I will continue to work hard and borrowing a line from Bret "Hit Man" Hart, make this show the best there is, the best there was, and the best there will ever will be. El Vagon Alternativo will continue and there are no signs to slow down.

Thank you to all of you for listening to this show and keeping it on the air for this long time. Without you, there would be no El Vagon Alternativo. I am eternally grateful to each and everyone of you.

Always Alternative,

Edwin

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario